And we’re back for another episode of “I Don’t Agree To The EULA”! Let’s meet today’s game:
LEGO® Batman™ 2: DC Super Heroes
Let’s cut right to the chase and read the WB Games EULA, shall we? (A copy is located under EULA.rtf)
1. Limited License
a. You may not sell, license or transfer the Game, or any reproductions thereof, to any person or entity;
b. You may not modify the Game or any portion thereof;
c. You may not copy, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game or any portion thereof;
d. You may not develop, distribute or use any third party program designed to impact the Game experience, including without limitation software bots, cheats, hacks or any other software designed to provide a player with an advantage;
e. You may not exploit the Game, or any portion thereof, for any commercial purpose;
f. You may not connect to the Service except by using an authorized, unmodified Game as set forth herein; or
g. You may not use the Game to connect to any server or service other than the Service.
You may terminate this EULA at any time by permanently destroying all copies of the Game and related documentation in your possession, including without limitation any and all Games installed on computers under your custody or control.
Upon termination of this Agreement, you must destroy all copies of the Game and related documentation in your possession, including without limitation any and all Games installed on
computers under your custody or control.
4. Consent to Monitor.
When the Game is running, WB Games may monitor your computer for the use of programs that violate Section 1. You hereby grant WB Games permission to monitor your computer for purposes of identifying such use and communicating potential violations to WB Games.
So, what does all this mean?
- I cannot sell the game to anyone else (if anyone wants it, they must buy it from the store, not me or eBay or Amazon).
- I cannot mod the game.
- I cannot extract the .dat files and see what is in them, nor can I attempt to figure out what kind of files are in them.
- I cannot use or create cheat codes or programs.
- I cannot use the game to sell my line of bar soap (“It’s so good, even LEGO Batman uses it!” :P).
- I cannot play online with an modded game.
- I cannot play on any fan-made server. I can only play on the Server.
- If I do not agree, I must destroy the game and all related items (video recordings) and any of my computers, or computers under my usage.
- Restating of line directly above this one.
- I agree to let WB monitor my PC and all its activity and programs to make sure I am not running anything that violates Section 1.
This game is awesome, let me tell you. I only have the demo, but I would buy the full game if I could. However, this EULA, which is worse than the LucasArts EULA, might be the deal breaker. WB will monitor my PC? That should never happen. Period. Oh well. I can just firewall the game so it can’t transmit any data. But wait, then I would be breaking the EULA, so I can’t play it.
Do you agree?